Here’s my list of the 5 most important WordPress plugins used on every one of my websites. Some of these are not free, but most are. None of these are in any specific order of importance and I tried to not show any favoritism (you know which one you are).
- BackupBuddy – The most important thing for a blog (besides content and readers) is a good backup! If you are running any website and do not have a regular backup you are crazy.
- Google XML Sitemaps – This nifty little plugin submits your XML sitemap to Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask, etc.
- Widget Logic – This plugin gives every widget an extra control field called “Widget logic” that lets you control the pages that the widget will appear on.
- Contact Form 7 – Creates submission forms with a very clean and easy interface. Bonus: If you need something more powerful, I suggest Gravity Forms.
- WordPress SEO – This plugin was written by Joost de Valk. This guy is the man when it comes to WordPress. Any plugin by Yoast is great for WordPress.
I know there are many other important plug-ins out there, but these are the first five I install on every new WordPress site. I didn’t include Akismet since that was too easy, especially since it is already included with WordPress from the get go.
Any plugins you feel are more important than these five listed above? Tell me!